



Church History
“Like a tree planted by the rivers of water, we shall not be moved.” — Psalm 1:3
Weeping Willow African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church has stood for generations as a beacon of faith, hope, and spiritual fortitude in the Charlotte community. Our story begins in 1877 A.D., not within walls of stained glass or marble—but beneath the open sky, in a grove shaded by the arms of weeping willow trees in Southwest Mecklenburg County. It was there that a faithful band of devoted men and women, committed to their God and guided by a vision, planted the seeds of what would become a powerful witness for Christ.
These early pioneers gave sacrificially—of their time, talents, and resources—to birth a new spiritual home rooted in the liberating message of the Gospel. Among them were Newell Potts, Hampton Colby, Jane Dinkins, Fannie Grier, Rufus Springs, Wallace Grier, Lee Hendingan, Sandy Brown, Ardeline Brown, and others whose names may not be recorded, but whose faith laid the foundation for generations to come.
Under the episcopal leadership of the late Bishop J.J. Clinton, the church was officially organized. Our first pastor, the Rev. Ephraim Torrence, offered courageous and faithful leadership, guiding the church in its formative years.
In 1915, under the leadership of Rev. R.B. Bruce, the congregation moved forward with a building program and entered a new sanctuary—where the church would worship for nearly 50 years.
By 1961, the old structure was condemned and torn down. However, under the visionary leadership of Rev. Dr. J.S. Nathaniel Tross, a new edifice was erected at 306 Billingsley Road in 1966. The trustees and stewards at the time—such as John Vaughns, Pearl Dinkins, Robert Ellis, Alfonso Clawson, and others—worked with conviction to make this new chapter possible.
After the passing of Dr. Tross in 1971, Rev. Dr. Wardell Henderson, Jr. was appointed pastor and would go on to serve faithfully for 43 years. His era of leadership was marked by dynamic preaching, community engagement, and extraordinary growth. Under his leadership:
On December 9, 1990, there was a caravan of cars in a historic procession from Billingsley Road site to the new sanctuary on Milton Road. That day marked not only a change of location but a reaffirmation of our calling—to be a witness of Christ’s redeeming power in a growing city and changing world.
Following Rev. Henderson’s elevation to Presiding Elder in 2014, Bishop George E. Battle, Jr. appointed Rev. Henrico D. White to serve as our current shepherd. Under his dynamic and Spirit-led leadership, Weeping Willow has continued to move forward with energy, vision, and deep compassion for God’s people.
Pastor White has emphasized ministry excellence, community transformation, global partnerships such as World Vision Rwanda, and a call for every member to be mobilized for ministry: “Every Member. Every Gift. Every Street.”
Weeping Willow continues to serve as a spiritual home and training ground for all ages. Our worship is Spirit-filled, rooted in the Black Church tradition, and focused on life transformation. Our ministries are intergenerational and inclusive, addressing spiritual growth, education, family support, and justice.
Today, we stand on the shoulders of those who came before us—our pioneers, pastors, leaders, and members—grateful for their labor and love. Their legacy is our inheritance. And with that inheritance comes a responsibility: to win souls for Christ, make disciples, and serve our community with joy and compassion.
As we press forward, we hold fast to the hope that our best days are not behind us—but ahead of us.